How to Use the Map
How to get the most from the map
You can pan around the globe by click+dragging anywhere on the map. (On mobile: hold your finger and drag.)
There are two primary ways to ZOOM IN on a specific area. Either:
- type a city of interest in the grey search bar at the top-right corner.
- use the +/- controls in the bottom-left corner.
- You can also zoom in on any specific cluster of performances by clicking once on it. (On mobile screens: tap once.)
The timeline shows each performance run of Carmen as graphical bars spanning their approximate place across 70 years of time.
You can interactively constrain the timeline to a certain range of years, to show only those relevant performance runs on the map above.
To use the timeline:
- Click (or tap) — and hold down your press — as you drag the cursor rightward from a start year to an end year.
- Release your press and the timeline will be constrained.
- You can refine your selection by click+dragging the semi-circle "handle" on either end of the constraining box.
- To RESET these constraints, click once (or tap once) anywhere in the grey blank area outside of the constraining box.
Remember that performance runs could, nearly always, span across the calendar year (from Fall of one year to Spring of the next.) To account for this imprecision, the minimum length of time that can be constrained on the timeline is a period of two years.
To compare change over time:
Once you have constrained the map to a certain number of years, you can also click+drag on the middle of the constraining box, to drag that same length of time to another era on the timeline:
Share a specific map view:As you pan around the map, the URL in your browser is constantly being updated to reflect the current coordinates on the map. For example, if you zoom in near Japan, the URL might look like:
carmenabroad.org/map-timeline/#4.25/37.07/136.57You can share this URL with a colleague to bring them directly to the same view of Japan. NOTE: if you have zoomed in very very close (to the level of individual streets), then the map your colleagues receive will be slightly zoomed out, so they can understand the context for any clustered dots in that area of the city.
Share a specific place AND time span:This does not happen automatically, but the URL can be manually edited if you wish to share a link to a specific year, or range of years. In this case, you need to type new characters into the URL before sharing it, using this syntax: ?t=YYYY& ?t=YYYY&t2=YYYY& These characters must be entered before the # symbol. For example, to share a link to Japan circa 1932:
carmenabroad.org/map-timeline/?t=1932.25/37.07/136.57To share a link to Japan 1932-1939:
carmenabroad.org/map-timeline/?t=1932&t2=1939.25/37.07/136.57To share a link to the whole globe 1932-1939 (i.e. no coordinates):